Recently we had a consultation with a soon to be groom who is planning a special proposal for his girlfriend. We gave him lots of things to think about during his planning. Below are a few of our tips.
Things to think about
1. Is it important to her to have her parents approval? Remember to ask mom, dad or whomever.
2. Remember that it doesn't have to be over the top, just special and personal.
3. If the ring doesn't fit it is ok, the surprise will be enough for her.
4. Do you know what type of ring she wants? Here are a few tips, Does she wear a lot of yellow gold or Silver? Chances are, whichever she wears, is what she will want her engagement/wedding ring to be.
5. Is there a location that is special to the two of you? A first date? Favorite Memory? These are great places to propose.
6. Have a friend or professional photographer hide to capture the joy and emotions. Just make sure she doesn't see them.
7. Think about something sweet to tell her. Maybe tell her how you knew she was the one, or how just how much you love her. Write it down for her to have forever but know if you can't get out anything other than "Marry Me?" It is ok.
Things not to do.
1. Putting the ring in her food or drink. No one wants to swallow the ring, have it in their mouth or try to put on a sticky ring.
2. Do not over do it. Keep it to your personalities. It does not need to be a big huge over the top proposal.
3. Do not do it at a restaurant or in front of a huge amount of people if your girlfriend is shy and it would embarrass her.
4. Do not make it seem casual or like an obligation. This is something that should be special for her.
Enjoy this moment. It will only happen once and you will want this to be a special memory.
What to do after she says yes?
1. Enjoy the moment, Say I love you (if you haven't already)
2. Keep it a secret for at least a few hours. Something only the two of you know. (if you can that is)
3. When you are ready to talk wedding plans, give us a call for a complimentary consultation about what to do first in your wedding planning.